My Little Family

My Little Family

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Glazed Chicken with Quinoa

The recipe I am about to share is so delicious!  I was visiting with my aunt's one day for lunch and she made this delicious meal.  I had never had quinoa before and I totally fell in love!  It is a really healthy grain packed with protein.  It is a little on the pricier side but a little bit makes a lot!  I bought a 30oz bag for $6.99 but I think this bag is going to last me a while.  The chicken is a great mix of sweet and savory.  The glaze is made with olive oil, apricot preserves and grainy dijon mustard.  So delicious.....

Here it is!!!



Glazed Chicken with Quinoa

1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup apricot preserves
1 Tablespoon grainy dijon mustard
12 drumsticks (I just 5 drumsticks and 5 thighs)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 medium size onion, chopped
2 large ribs celery, chopped
1 cup quinoa
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (I didn't use these)

1) Heath oven to 400 degrees

2)In a small bowl, stir together olive oil, preserves, and mustard.  Set aside 3 Tablespoons for the quinoa (I didn't do this)


3)Place the chicken on a roasting pan (I used a jelly roll pan and lined it with foil).  Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.  Brush on remaining mustard mizture and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until internal temperature registers 170 degrees on an instant read thermometer.  Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

4)While chicken is cooking, make quinoa dressing.  Place chicken broth, onion, celery, quinoa and 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium size saucepan.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.  Stir in apricots during last few minutes of cook time.  Take off heat and stir in mustard mixture (again....I didn't do this.  It's great without it!)

5) To serve, spoon quinoa onto a serving platter and sprinkle with pine nuts (I didn't do this!)  Place chicken on top of quinoa (I just served it on a plate).

6) ENJOY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment