My Little Family

My Little Family

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Homemade Fruit Leather

So I decided it was finally time to undertake making my own fruit leather....how hard could it be!  Not to bad....It finally just got done.  My project started at 10:30 this morning and just got done at 6:30 this evening. I should have taken them out a little bit earlier....like an hour or so.  My first attempt at them they are a little bit crunchy....bummer!  They still taste delicious, but I'm not quite sure that I could call them fruit leather....more like fruit crunchers!  I always forget that my oven heats much warmer than most.  Next time I will remember to put them in for less time!  Probably minus an hour or 2. 

Here is the recipe:

Homemade Fruit Leather

2 cans peaches (you can use fresh fruit...I would guess it is about 1 1/2 - 2 cups of fruit per can)
A little bit of sugar to sweeten

I opened the two cans and drained them.  I put them in a saucepan to get them juicy (this is where you would add the sugar if you want to add a little bit of sweetness), about 15 or 20 minutes.  I pureed them and then poured them on a parchment lined jellyroll pan and placed them in a 170 degree oven for 8-10 hours.  Put your oven on the lowest temperature it goes.  But you know your oven so just keep an eye on them. My oven heats warmer so I would probably go with 6 or so hours. You will know they are done with they are not sticky to the touch and they are still plyable.    Take them out and let them cool.  Cut and roll.  You could roll them with some cling wrap or parchment paper so they don't stick together.  Store in the fridge.    Good luck and I hope you enjoy them!


No comments:

Post a Comment